April 27, 2012

Podcast

David Huron: Music and the Brain

David Huron: Music and the Brain (Podcasts) (Library of Congress):


This Podcast may appear to be a bizarre choice, but when I think of music it does evoke emotion. How does music succeed in prompting emotions within us? And why are these emotions often so powerful? The simple answer is that no one knows.....yet. Music affects us all.It seems that the healing power of music, over body and spirit, is only just starting to be understood, even though music therapy is not new.

David Huron, professor of music, joined the School of Music faculty and the OSU Centre for Cognitive Science in 1998. Although he was trained in performance, Huron has an international reputation for his research in music perception and cognition. This research includes such areas as music and human emotion, and the perception of harmony, voice-leading, and melody. Since graduating in 1989 from the University of Nottingham (England) with a Ph.D. in musicology, Huron has published over 80 scholarly articles.
Professor Huron is currently teaching and researching the field of music cognition at the Ohio State University. He wants to know why people fall in love with music and understand why music is so enjoyable. What makes sound appealing (or unappealing)? Why do people have different musical tastes? How does culture shape our musical experience?


I had a look at the following Podcasts:

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/hsw-shows/hsw-podcast.htm

http://www.nla.gov.au/podcasts/events.html

2 comments:

  1. I particularly liked the National Library of Australia podcasts. Very informative and have also tagged this link on to my Delicious account for future reference. Thanks Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really enjoyed your comments on David Huron and intend to come back and listen to his podcast in full as I am very interested in this topic too.A really thought provoking post Lynda. Thank you very much indeed

    ReplyDelete