May 11, 2012

Book Review

Tim Winton
Cloudstreet
ISBN 0140273980



Cloudstreet.jpg


Winton, T. 1991, Cloudstreet, Penguin Books, Vic. Aust.

A friend lent this book to me and it turned out to be a very good/funny story. I don’t read many Australian novels or family sagas but I would recommend this one, a great read.This book was made into a mini series.
The time line is between 1943 - 1963 where the ne’er-do-well Pickles family inherits the dilapidated, unhappily haunted house at Number One Cloud Street in Perth. To make ends meet, they rent half of the house to the industrious, God-fearing Lambs, but sparks immediately fly. The families also have to contend with a sad and angry ghost, one of the “Stolen Generation” of Aboriginal children. With an odd blend of gritty detail and magical realism, Tim Winton writes with such compassion that you can’t help but love his characters as they squabble, love, and learn to get along over two decades of Australian history.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good book, I wanted to read that a couple of years ago when I had to do an assignment on another of his books 'The Turning' which was also good. n after seeing the tv series for it, made it more interesting.

    I also love the layout and your pictures on the side of the page, all of the old books, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favourite books. I've read it several times and I still find something new in it.
    I haven't seen the TV series or the play - I can't really imagine how you could transfer the book to other media as Tim Winton's use of the written language is such an integral part of the story.

    ReplyDelete